Reminder – How the West Can Win: Controlling Spending as We Grow
January 12, 2011 Leave a comment
Please join the Program on America and the Global Economy and the Canada Institute at the following Director’s Forum:
“How the West Can Win: Controlling Spending as We Grow”
James M. Flaherty
Minister of Finance, Government of Canada
Wednesday January 12, 2011
12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
Woodrow Wilson Center, 6th Floor, Joseph H. and Claire Flom Auditorium
James M. Flaherty serves as Canada’s Minister of Finance. He is a Governor of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund and dean of the G7 finance ministers. Minister Flaherty was recently awarded Euromoney Magazine’s Finance Minister of the Year award, crediting him with enhancing Canada’s reputation for sound fiscal policy while overseeing a strong regulatory regime that has kept the financial sector stable during recent global turmoil.
Minister Flaherty’s speech will touch on the following areas:
- FISCAL STRENGTH. Canada’s fiscal strength going into the recession and why this allowed Canada to respond quickly and effectively with one of the world’s largest stimulus packages when the recession hit.
- LOW BUSINESS TAXES. Canada’s favorable business climate, and how it’s allowing Canada to lead the G7 in economic recovery, as forecasted by the IMF and OECD. Canada’s business income taxes are among the lowest in the G7, and are set to decrease further in 2012.
- SOUND BANKING SYSTEM. How Canada’s stable banking system—ranked soundest in the world for three years in a row by the World Economic Forum—allowed the country to avoid bank failures and nationalization.
- INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC LEADERSHIP. Canada’s international leadership at the Toronto G20 summit, which committed advanced economies to halve deficits and put debt on a downward track, while reaffirming the need to resist protectionism.
- FISCAL CONSOLIDATION. The urgent need for advanced economies to fiscally consolidate, in light of recent European sovereign debt events.
To RSVP acceptance or to receive further information send an email to Drew Sample at
Drew.Sample@wilsoncenter.org. Please provide your name with a clear spelling, your affiliation and your telephone number.
Please allow time on arrival at the building for routine security procedures. A photo ID is required.